Société Française d'Archéologie, Musée des Monuments Français
Bulletin Monumental vol:159 issue:1 pages:63-76
At the time of Philip the Good and Isabel of Portugal, the urban palaces at Ghent and Bruges presented different solutions regarding the placement and disposition of the bathing apartment within the residence, but they resembled one another closely in their heating system (using terra cotta "pots"), in their revetment (expensive wood imported from northern Europe, Danish pine and Baltic oak) and in their furnishings. At Ghent (1418-1419 and 1432), the steam rooms and bathrooms were installed within the central building, near the private quarters of the duke and duchess. They were transformed several times, usually whenever the ducal apartments were renovated. At Bruges (1441-1446) they were installed in a house isolated from the main wing, closely linked with other amenities such as the gardens and the royal tennis court. An intermediate solution is to be found in the palace of Coudenberg in Brussels (1431-1436).