ITEM METADATA RECORD
Title: Order identification of the dynamic heat production response of broiler chickens to step changes in temperature and light intensity
Authors: Aerts, Jean-Marie
Buyse, Johan
Decuypere, Eddy
Berckmans, Daniel # ×
Issue Date: Mar-2003
Publisher: Amer soc agricultural engineers
Series Title: Transactions of the ASAE vol:46 issue:2 pages:467-473
Abstract: In this research, the aim was to identify the order of the dynamic response of heat production of broiler chickens to steps in air temperature and light intensity. A total of 60 step experiments were performed with air temperature, and 181 step experiments were performed with light intensity. Each step experiment was modeled using a transfer function model. For each experiment, the order of the dynamic heat production response was determined using the Young identification criterion (YIC). Dynamic response of heat production to steps in temperature showed a first-order response in 43 of the 60 experiments (i.e., 72%) and a higher-order response in the other cases (28%). Dynamic response of heat production to steps in light intensity showed a first-order response in 130 of the 181 cases (72%) and a higher-order response in the remaining 51 steps (28%). Based on modeling accuracy in terms of R-2, applying the higher-order models improved the accuracy only in a minority (2% to 5%) of the cases. As a conclusion, it can be stated that, in general, the dynamic response of heat production of broiler chickens to step changes in air temperature and light intensity can be modeled assuming first-order dynamics.
URI: 
ISSN: 2151-0032
Publication status: published
KU Leuven publication type: IT
Appears in Collections:Division M3-BIORES: Measure, Model & Manage Bioresponses (-)
Division of Livestock-Nutrition-Quality (-)
Production Engineering, Machine Design and Automation (PMA) Section
× corresponding author
# (joint) last author

Files in This Item:

There are no files associated with this item.

Request a copy

 




All items in Lirias are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

© Web of science