KLIMOS Workshop location:Brussels date:12 February 2014
- Regulation (EU) No 995/2010 (EUTR) aims at preventing the introduction of illegally logged timber into the market of the European Union.
- Several private (e.g. FSC) and public schemes (EUTR, U.S. Lacey Act) have been enacted to address the problem of illegal logging.
- These schemes restrict the international trade in timber and may therefore be challenged before the dispute settlement mechanism of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Whether a particular scheme is consistent with the enacting countries’ obligations under the WTO Agreement depends on the design of the measure.
- The EUTR seems to have been designed in a WTO-consistent manner.