Title: Heritability of body mass index in pre-adolescence, young adulthood and late adulthood
Authors: Nan, Cassandra ×
Guo, Boliang
Warner, Claire
Fowler, Tom
Barrett, Timothy
Boomsma, Dorret
Nelson, Tracy
Whitfield, Keith
Beunen, Gaston
Thomis, Martine
Maes, Hermine Hendrik
Derom, Cathérine
Ordoñana, Juan
Deeks, Jonathan
Zeegers, Maurice #
Issue Date: Apr-2012
Series Title: European Journal of Epidemiology vol:27 issue:4 pages:247-253
Abstract: Increased body mass index (BMI) is a worldwide health issue. Individual differences in the susceptibility to increased BMI could be related to genes or environment. We performed a systematic review of genetic studies on BMI in pre-adolescence, young adulthood and late adulthood. We searched PubMed and EMBASE with heritability, body mass index, BMI, weight, height, anthropometry and twins as search terms. Studies reporting intra-pair correlations of healthy twin pairs that were raised together were included. This resulted in the inclusion of 8,179 monozygotic (MZ) and 9,977 dizygotic (DZ) twin pairs from twelve published studies in addition to individual participant data for 629 MZ and 594 DZ pairs from four twin registries. Structural equation modelling with intra-pair twin correlations showed that the heritability of BMI remained high over all age categories ranging from 61 % (95 % CI 54-64 %) to 80 % (95 % CI 76-81 %) for male and female subjects combined, while unique environmental influences increased from 14 % (95 % CI 13-15 %) to 40 % (95 % CI 37-43 %) with increasing age. Heritability of BMI remains consistently high over different age categories. Environmental changes over time do not seem to have as big a relative impact on an individual's weight as previously reported, suggesting a mainly genetic influence on variation in BMI over the years.
ISSN: 0393-2990
Publication status: published
KU Leuven publication type: IT
Appears in Collections:Department of Human Genetics - miscellaneous
Clinical Genetics
Exercise Physiology Research Group
Physical Activity, Sports & Health Research Group
× corresponding author
# (joint) last author

Files in This Item:
File Description Status SizeFormat
Nan Eur J Epidemiol 2012.pdfpublisher's version pdf Published 253KbAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

These files are only available to some KU Leuven Association staff members


All items in Lirias are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

© Web of science