ITEM METADATA RECORD
Title: Comparison of Total Hip Arthroplasty Performed with and without Cement: A Randomized Trial: A Concise Follow-up, at Twenty Years, of Previous Reports*
Authors: Corten, Kristoff ×
Bourne, Robert B
Charron, Kory D
Au, Keegan
Rorabeck, Cecil H #
Issue Date: Jul-2011
Publisher: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
Series Title: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume vol:93 issue:14 pages:1335-8
Abstract: Total hip arthroplasty has been associated with excellent implant survival rates, but debate remains concerning the best fixation method for the components. A randomized controlled trial, which included 250 patients (mean age, sixty-four years) with osteoarthritis who were managed with total hip arthroplasty between October 1987 and January 1992, was conducted to compare the results of fixation with and without cement. Patients were followed for a mean of twenty years (range, seventeen to twenty-one years). Kaplan-Meier survivorship analysis at twenty years revealed significantly lower survival rates for cemented implants as compared with cementless implants. The cementless tapered stem had an extremely good survival rate of 99%. Radiographs showed evidence of mild stress-shielding around 95% of the cemented stems and 88% of the cementless stems; stress-shielding of grade 3 or greater was seen around the remaining 12% of the cementless stems. LEVEL OF EVIDENCE: Therapeutic Level I. See Instructions to Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
URI: 
ISSN: 0021-9355
Publication status: published
KU Leuven publication type: IT
Appears in Collections:Non-KU Leuven Association publications
× corresponding author
# (joint) last author

Files in This Item:

There are no files associated with this item.

Request a copy

 




All items in Lirias are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.

© Web of science