Title: [Lipoma and atypical lipomatous tumor within the same neoplasia : Evidence for a continuous transition.]
Authors: Kuhnen, C ×
Mentzel, T
Lehnhardt, M
Homann, H H
Sciot, Raphael
Debiec-Rychter, Maria #
Issue Date: Jan-2010
Publisher: Springer-Verlag
Series Title: Der Pathologe vol:31 issue:2 pages:129-134
Abstract: The case of a lipomatous tumor with a predominant lipoma component and transition to an atypical lipomatous tumor is presented. A deep-seated soft tissue tumor of the right thigh with a maximum size of 14 cm was resected in a 70-year-old female patient. Corresponding to a comparable macroscopic aspect, the lesion revealed the histological features of an ordinary lipoma without atypia in about 80% of the specimen. In the remaining portion (approximately 20%) histopathology showed an atypical lipomatous tumor (ALT, lipoma-like subtype). Immunohistochemistry for MDM 2 and CDK4 revealed no immunoreactivity in the lipoma component, but within the ALT component. Interphase dual-color fluorescence in situ hybridization showed no amplification of the MDM 2 gene and rarely CDK4 gene amplification within the lipoma component, but high level amplification of MDM 2/CDK4 gene in the ALT area, further supporting the morphologically based diagnosis of a lipomatous tumor including areas of a true lipoma and ALT. This case underlines the concept of a continuous stepwise development of lipomatous soft tissue tumors from benign to malignant counterparts as a biological continuum.
ISSN: 0172-8113
Publication status: published
KU Leuven publication type: IT
Appears in Collections:Department of Human Genetics - miscellaneous
Translational Cell & Tissue Research
Laboratory for Genetics of Malignant Disorders
× corresponding author
# (joint) last author

Files in This Item:
File Description Status SizeFormat
Kuhnen1.pdfpublisher's version pdf Published 394KbAdobe PDFView/Open Request a copy

These files are only available to some KU Leuven Association staff members


All items in Lirias are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved.